Errol Village Hall extension
Errol Village Hall, Errol, Perthshire
To construct an extension to a village hall creating a new entrance, foyer and circulation space. New facilities were created including a meeting room, storage space, toilets and disabled facilities, the kitchen was also upgraded.
The extension features modern construction materials such as red cedar and aluminium alongside traditional features such as wooden windows which complement the old part of the hall. Local vernacular material from the old Errol brickworks which closed in 2008 was also incorporated into the design. The large circulation area benefits from pavilion type viewing over the park and glass lantern over the original feature window. The existing building has been repointed with lime mortar and features internally.
Errol Hall was originally constructed in 1855 as a female industrial school. The building is C listed so getting a design to compliment the original ashlar sandstone yet be modern in space and light was a challenge.
The Hall is regularly used by the local residents and had to remain open during the entire build. Algo achieved this by working closely with the management committee and caretaker. The hall sits in the centre of the village and is surrounded by residential properties on a school route which made access and egress challenging.